South India offers vide variety options for shopping. While the hand-woven silk of South is famous, one can buy a lot of artifacts too. Traditional handicrafts, coir products, handcrafted Jewellery especially gold, bronze items, wood and stone carvings are few of the popular items to buy in South India. Silk sarees are certainly a must buy if you visit South India. Here’s a list of places where you can shop in South India.
- Badami is famous for their Handicraft and artefacts relishing the rich cultural of Karnataka
- Calicut is famous for spices, Calico clothes originated in Kozhikode. If you are looking for a memento, then buy a Koyilandy Hookah
- Chikmagalur is famous for coffee beans
- Kochi is also famous for ‘Ayurvedic’ Fabric of home linens, Coir product etc.
- If antiques interest Kumarakom you then Kumarakom has its share of selling curios, like bronze, Lamps etc.
- Madurai is famous for cotton fabric, Hand-woven silk and batik textiles, bell-metal lamps, bronze images, wood & stone carving.
- Mysore city is renowned for its traditional painting, silk, Sandalwood and incense production Mysore silks, Mysore Jasmine (Mysore Mallige)
- Puducherry is famous for its textiles, furniture, Leather and Pottery
- Tanjore is very popular for its sarees and paintings
- Bidar is very popular for Bidri ware, a magic in Black and silver, Bidriware Derives its name from Bidar. The 500 year old art is Persian in origin, but bidriware is purely Indian innovation. This art of engraving and inlaying is handed down by generations and is exclusive to Bidar. Bidar is also famous for wood carving works.
- Kanchipuram in Tamil Nadu is famous for its lustrous Kanjeevaram silks. Shopping in Kanchipuram will be an exciting experience, especially for all you ladies out there. The beautifully designed Kanjeevaram Silks allures the tourists to this temple city of Kanchipuram.